Booster Car Seat Review: Is The Britax Frontier G1.1 The Right Safety Seat For Your Child?
There are a lot of factors to consider when buying the best booster seat for your child. Some boosters claim to provide you with the best value, while some say they are the safest and most comfortable. With so many choices on the market and features to think about, finding the right car seat can overwhelm any parent. So where do you start?
When looking for the best car seat for your child, treat it like you’re buying a car.
Think of the things you want to get out from it such as ease of use, design, class, luxury, safety, and of course, price. It is also important to check the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Booster ratings to help you select the safest one around.
A great safety seat will have all of these factors, and the Britax Frontier G1.1 Frontier ClickTight will not disappoint you in these departments. It is a harness and booster seat rolled into one.
It combines comfort with safety but has a higher price tag than most of its competitors.
Will the extra investment be worth it though? Find out on this comprehensive review, if ClickTight can provide you with value for money, and if it’s the best child car seat that can last your family for many years.
Britax Frontier ClickTight Overview
The high-end Britax Frontier booster seat features a 5-point safety harness that can handle your child with a weight of up to 90 pounds.
It’s easy-to-use and simple to install. The assembly of its shoulder and headrest harness works pretty well and you’ll have no problem adjusting it.
However, the car seat is a bit on the heavy and bulky side, which makes it hard to maneuver and move from one car to another.
So it’s not ideal for traveling. What makes the Britax Frontier standout from the rest is that it is the highest-scoring 5-point harness car seat.
Plus, you can keep your kid in harness for longer, which is the safest option, making the seat a good choice for families who want to keep their little one in a harness for an extended period.
What Are The Key Features Of The Britax G1.1 Frontier?
Britax has made improvements on their offerings, and their best-selling harness and booster combo seat is no exception.
The Britax Frontier comes with unique features, add to that the fact that the company is well-known for being a top safety technology brand.
- This seat belt installation system automatically tensions and tightens the Frontier’s seat belt. You no longer have to worry about locking clips and LATCH limits.
- The crash protection system on its base has the ability to absorb energy in the event of a crash.
- Top harness adjustment is higher. At 20.5 inches, the seat’s top harness slot is the tallest. This means your child will not outgrow its harness mode any time soon.
- One of the best high-quality harnessed boosters (IIHS crash-tested), even taking the top pick spot in 2014.
- The USA made safety seat is a combination of harness and booster car seat, so when your little one is ready for a booster, you don’t have to purchase a separate one.
- 2 built-in cup holders for holding your child’s drinks and snacks.
- Multiple recline positions allowing you to adjust the car seat to provide your child with the best comfort level and best fit for the seat of your vehicle.
- Removable cover.
The Britax ClickTight is designed to accommodate specific heights and weights like with all child restraints:
- The safety seat is recommended for kids at least two years old weighing 35 to 90 pounds and with a height of 30 to 58 inches on its forward-facing mode.
- Its booster mode is ideal for kids weighing between 40 to 120 pounds with a height ranging from 45 to 62 inches.
- Its harness height limit is 20 inches.
Fit To Vehicle
The safety seat may not be for you if you want something compact, lightweight, and small, or if you’re often transferring your child’s seat from one car to another.
The Frontier’s side impact protection and steel frame take up a big part of the seat’s size though, so if you will not move it frequently, it’s an excellent choice for the family.
- Car seat weight: 24.9 lbs.
- Outer width: 19 in.
- Inner width: 15.5 in (shoulder height) and 12 in wide (seating area)
- Two crotch strap positions: 6.5 and 9 in (from the back of the seat)
This Britax car seat is one of the heaviest options out there and will work well if you have a mid-size vehicle. Also, due to its bulky built, you will not have fun moving it around through the airport. Its harness mode is certified for use in airplanes, but not its booster.
How Easy Is It To Install?
The ClickTight feature of the Britax is what sets it apart from its competitors.
ClickTight technology is a feature that you can find on some Britax car seats. Any parent will love this as it provides you with the easiest installation process when utilizing a seat belt.
The installation system makes the installation of the Frontier pretty simple every time. You can achieve tight enough straps without having to pull your muscles.
The ClickTight will take care of tightening the strap for you ensuring proper installation every time giving you peace of mind.
Since this car seat comes with a lower connector strap, you can secure it to your car using its lower anchors.
You can lock these on and off lower anchors into place with a simple click. And you can easily release them with a push of a button.
How About Safety?
The frame of the Britax G1.1 Frontier is made from steel and features energy-absorbing materials that help reduce its movement and limit the force of impact in a car crash.
This Britax car seat model also comes with an energy-absorbing headrest and a couple of side impact protection layers for protecting the head and neck of your little one.
Its base also has an impact-absorbing feature to add more stability on the foundation of the seat and also serves as a protective barrier from top to bottom.
The company made sure to go above the safety standards by incorporating the G1.1 Frontier with the latest safety technology. It was even ranked as one of the safest car seats by consumer websites and publications.
The lifespan of the Britax Frontier ClickTight is nine years.
All safety seats have expiration dates, but this one is the longest so far. It may have a higher price tag, but the extra cost is justified by how long you can use it.
It is also very adjustable with higher height and weight limitations, which means you will be able to keep your kid in it for an extended period.
- High-quality car seat from a well-known brand.
- Comfortable, easy to use, install, and clean.
- One of the safest car seats available today.
- You can switch it from forward-facing to booster.
- High harness height.
- It’s one of the heaviest child safety seats in the market.
- Has a higher price than most brands, but you’ll get what you pay for.
- You can’t remove the cup holders for easy cleaning.
- Removable seat cover needs to be hand-washed.
You’ll find a lot of things to love about the Britax G1.1 Frontier ClickTight.
It’s a great choice if you’re looking for a combination of safety and quality. It may be an expensive option, but you’ll get many years of use from this safety seat. It’s also a top-rated seat for safety, and there’s no price for that added peace of mind you’ll have.
It does have a few minor flaws and may not be for every family, but the Britax Frontier is a reliable child car seat that can provide your child with the best protection in the event of a crash.