While chiropractors are most generally sought for lower back pain, it is a lesser-known fact that chiropractors are a great support during the pregnancy period.
The nine months of pregnancy are a time of several changes in a woman’s body to prepare for the development of a baby. These changes may not always come with natural adjustment by the mother’s body. However, it is essential that the mother has a safe and happy pregnancy for the sake of her own health as well as the baby.
A chiropractor in Durham NC can be a source of comfort for many physical ails you may be facing and for ensuring a healthy birth.
What is chiropractic care?
Chiropractic care is a form of treatment that works on the belief that the body can heal itself.
It uses hands-on manipulations or adjustments to treat misalignments of the musculoskeletal structure of the body. This treatment is often used to restore mobility, reduce body pains, and improve overall physical health.
Chiropractors use soft-tissue therapy, adjustment therapy, and joint bracing as treatments rather than medication. They may also suggest exercises and stretches along with dietary changes.
How can chiropractic be useful for pregnant women?
As we said before, the body goes through several changes to accommodate the growth and birth of a child.
Sometimes, these may be uncomfortable and painful. Chiropractic care can be a useful treatment to get relief from such experiences and improve general health.
The fact chiropractic care consists of non-invasive techniques, and no medication serves as an aid for physical symptoms women usually face during pregnancy.
Here are some ways that a chiropractic session can be useful for an expecting mother-
- It promotes successful postural changes that occur as the pregnancy period progresses.
- It reduces unnecessary stress on the uterus and its supporting body parts.
- It may help reduce nausea.
- It provides relief from joint pain and muscles during pregnancy.
- It may prevent pelvic misalignment, which can create several problems later on, such as lack of enough space for the baby ( intrauterine constraint), unsuitable fetal positioning and difficulty in natural birth.
If you are expecting, your chiropractor will use techniques that do not put pressure on your abdomen and may suggest exercises that are safe for you to practice.
Does chiropractic have any risks to pregnant women?
There are no known risks associated with chiropractic care and pregnancy.
All chiropractors receive considerable training to work with expecting mothers. They also, in fact, deal with fertility issues. Some Durham chiropractic in NC may choose to also specialize in providing prenatal and postnatal chiropractic care by taking further experience in the field.
How do I select the right chiropractor?
Selecting the right chiropractor is a crucial step to ensure a healthy pregnancy and birth. Here are eight tips to help you choose the right chiropractor for your pregnancy:
- Choose a chiropractor that asks for additional tests only when necessary and personalizes your treatment according to the stage of your pregnancy.
- Check if your chiropractor works with pregnant women regularly. Chiropractic adjustments for them slight differ from the typical adjustments. So, the more experience your practitioner has, the better.
- Assess your comfort level with the practitioner. They should be supportive and empathetic of your problems rather than dismissive. It is always better to opt for client-centric chiropractic care. Choose a chiropractor that gives you sufficient time on every visit.
- Your chiropractor should communicate the severity of any issue and how the treatment works. They should also state if you may feel pain or discomfort after the treatment and how long will it last.