Is Erectile Dysfunction Psychological or Physical?


signs your husband wants a divorce shirtless couple on the floor kissing Middle Class Dad

The topic of erectile dysfunction is one that doesn’t tend to come up in conversation regularly. Having trouble getting an erection during sex is not something that men take pride in, and it can be quite damaging to their self-confidence and mental health. The impact on the sex lives of both the sufferer and his partner can be significant, with them likely feeling like they are unable to fully enjoy one of life’s greatest pleasures.

There are methods of treating erectile dysfunction effectively, like tablet medication such as Sildenafil, the active ingredient in Viagra. Other erectile dysfunction treatments are widely available, but whilst they are effective at helping the guy achieve an erection in most cases, they don’t get to the heart of the issue: why does erectile dysfunction occur?

What is Erectile Dysfunction?

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is defined as the inability to achieve or maintain an erection for long enough during sex. This may manifest as either being unable to get an erection before commencing sex, or losing your erection a short while into sex. ED is a common condition among men, and is more likely to affect you the older you get. Approximately half of men over 45 years are estimated to have suffered from erectile dysfunction at some stage.

The Psychological Causes

Most people assume that problems getting an erection is a mental obstacle, especially in younger men. In reality, the psychological causes of ED account for only 20% of all ED cases, with the other 80% being physical factors. With that said, psychological explanations for ED are completely valid, and may include the following:

  • Performance Anxiety
  • Stress
  • Depression
  • Low Self-Esteem
  • Relationship Problems
  • Sexual Desensitisation (caused by porn overconsumption)

The Physical Causes

The much more likely explanation of ED is down to physical factors. Erectile dysfunction occurs when inadequate blood flow goes to the penis, meaning it cannot remain hard. Several underlying physical health conditions, as well as other physical factors, could reduce the blood flow, including the following:

  • Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • High Cholesterol
  • Low Testosterone Levels
  • Obesity
  • Other Medication
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Neurological Disorders

Ultimately, either physical and psychological factors could be at play, but this depends on the individual’s circumstances, such as what medication they’re already taking or if they have underlying mental conditions, for example.

To learn more about how to treat erectile dysfunction effectively, and how to lessen the impact of the factors causing it, check out the health centre blog on Pharmica online pharmacy today.

 

 

Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell is a husband, father, martial artist, budget-master, Disney-addict, musician, and recovering foodie having spent over 2 decades as a leader for Whole Foods Market. Click to learn more about me

Recent Posts