A fireplace takes maintenance and care to stay beautiful to look at and safe to operate. You might have just purchased a new home with a fireplace that needs a makeover or some repairs, or maybe you are trying to think of ways to add a fireplace without having to do much upkeep.
There are many ways to upgrade your existing fireplace, as well as ways to replace your fireplace if you don’t want to deal with bringing in wood to burn, smoke in your house, or paying for annual chimney upkeep and maintenance. A fireplace can add a lot of charm and a sense of warmth to your home and you will never regret upgrading or replacing it with a good option that is easy to care for.
If you are ready to learn more about replacing or upgrading your fireplace, read on!
Replacing or Upgrading Your Fireplace
A fireplace is not a complicated item, but it does require some upkeep and some basic monthly or weekly maintenance to make sure that you are able to use it whenever you want to do so. There are many reasons why you might want to upgrade your existing fireplace to make sure that you can keep using it for years, but there are also arguments for replacing your fireplace with a better kind of heat in your home.
Upgrading Your Fireplace
If you are planning to upgrade your fireplace, you have some options that you can take advantage of. Some of them are cosmetic and some are related to the function of your fireplace.
- Repaint: If you do not have a stone facing on your fireplace, you can paint your fireplace surround to freshen up its appearance and bring light into a dark room. You can always paint the mantel, even if you have a stone fireplace and you do not want to replace the stone.
- Change to Stone: If you have wanted to add a sense of rustic sensibility to your home or you are tired of a tile fireplace, you can add stone easily to the front of your fireplace. This can change the entire look of the room without doing a major replacement. Top off this upgrade with a new wooden mantel or a reclaimed wood mantel and you will love the country cabin feel you have created!
- Add a mantel: Adding a mantel is an easy way to completely alter the look of your fireplace in one easy step. If you have a fireplace that is very basic, this adds a sense of personality and permanence to your fireplace. It is also a great place to add décor items or seasonal decorations around the holiday.
- Upgrade Your insert: You can change out your fireplace insert to clean up the interior of your fireplace and to make it look more modern. This can be a safety concern as well in an older home.
- Upgrade the chimney: If you want to be sure that you don’t have to do regular upkeep for a stuck flue or a leaky chimney, upgrade your chimney and save yourself heartache and frustration next winter.
Replacing Your Fireplace
Maybe you are just tired of your fireplace in general and want to replace it. This can be a big help to a room that is suffering from an outdated fireplace. You have a couple of great options if you are tired of your dated fireplace or if you have been told that you will have to do a major remodel to continue to use your existing fireplace.
- Add a Gas Fireplace: Gas fireplaces have the benefit of being turned on and off with a button. They are also very attractive and burn with almost as much heat as a wood-burning fireplace does. This can help you to heat your home and enjoy the ambiance of a fireplace without the mess of chopping wood or bringing in supplies out of the cold to feed the fire all day long.
Gas fireplaces come in many sizes and styles and they can range from modernistic and sleek to traditional-looking with fake log inserts. This is always a popular replacement option because you can usually drop your gas fireplace into the old insert for your wood-burning fireplace.
- Invest in an electric fireplace: Electric fireplaces are a great option that many people are not aware of. If you have an older home that needs a major remodel to make the fireplace functional again, or you just don’t want to have to deal with replacing the actual fireplace, an electric fireplace might be the perfect solution for your needs.
Electric fireplace inserts look just like the real thing and they contribute just as much heat as a gas or wood-burning fireplace. They offer the same benefits as a gas fireplace in that they turn on and off with a remote control or a switch. Electric fireplaces have the added benefit of being easy to relocate to any spot in your home that you want to have a fireplace.
Upgrading or Replacing Your Fireplace Doesn’t Have to Be a Tough Choice
You might have been feeling worried about whether replacing or upgrading your fireplace was the right decision, but this list of pros and cons should have put your mind at ease about the decision that you have made. There is a myriad of benefits related to either choice and you will find that the level of upkeep involved in replacement is always going to be less than the effort related to upgrades.
Fireplaces can be a lot of work to care for, but wood-burning fireplaces are always enjoyable to have in your home. If you want to get away from the hassle of chopping wood and dealing with smoke and coals, there is nothing wrong with changing out your wood-burning fireplace for a gas or an electric option that requires much less care and upkeep.
Electric fireplaces are the most flexible and affordable item on this list and you should check them out if you have not looked into this great option for your fireplace needs.