Big rig accidents can cause devastating injuries and even death. If you or a loved one has been injured in a big rig accident, it is important to consult with a Rock Hill personal injury lawyer to understand your legal rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. Here are some statistics on big rig injuries in the United States.
Number of Big Rig Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were over 450,000 reported crashes involving large trucks in 2019. Of those crashes, more than 4,000 resulted in fatalities and over 100,000 resulted in injuries. This means that approximately one in every eight traffic fatalities and one in every four injuries from traffic crashes involved a large truck.
If you have been injured in a big rig accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. They can help you gather evidence to prove that the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, such as the truck driver or the trucking company.
Causes of Big Rig Accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to big rig accidents. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver error: This can include things like speeding, distracted driving, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Equipment failure: This can include things like brake failure, tire blowouts, and other mechanical issues.
- Weather conditions: Rain, snow, and ice can make driving conditions more dangerous for all drivers, but especially for those operating large trucks.
- Improper loading: When cargo is not properly secured, it can shift during transit and cause the truck to become unbalanced, leading to an accident.
If you have been injured in a big rig accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you determine who is at fault for the accident and fight for the compensation you deserve. They can gather evidence, such as black box data and witness statements, to prove that the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Injuries Caused by Big Rig Accidents
Big rig accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to catastrophic injuries like traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Whiplash: This is a common injury that occurs when the neck is suddenly jerked back and forth, causing damage to the soft tissues in the neck.
- Bone fractures: The force of a big rig accident can easily cause broken bones in the arms, legs, and other parts of the body.
- Burns: If the big rig catches fire or explodes, victims can suffer serious burns that require extensive medical treatment.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord can cause partial or complete paralysis, depending on the location and severity of the injury.
If you have suffered any of these injuries in a big rig accident, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. They can help you negotiate with insurance companies and pursue a lawsuit if necessary.
Big rig accidents can cause devastating injuries and even death.