Do 100 Disabled Veterans Get a Housing Allowance?

Returning to civilian life after serving in the military can be difficult for anyone, but if you are 100 percent disabled after serving, it can be even more difficult. The United States Department of Veterans Affairs understands the difficulty and offers several benefits for those who are no longer able to work after serving in the military. One of these is a housing allowance.

What Is the Housing Allowance

If you are 100 percent disabled, the federal government offers a housing allowance that can be used for rent or a mortgage payment. If you do not own your own home, the government will provide you with a grant up to 50 percent of the value of the home up to $46,000.

Home Modifications

In addition to funds for rent or a mortgage as well as grants to purchase a home, 100 percent disabled veterans are eligible for Specially Adapted Housing (SHA) grants. Veterans may receive up to three of the grants each year up to $90.364. The money can be used for renovations designed to make it more user-friendly.

This may be lowered counters and ramps for a wheelchair-bound veteran or other handicap-accessible In order to qualify, the veteran must own the home and have a qualifying service-connected disability.

Qualifying Disabilities

If your disability is severe enough to qualify, you may be eligible for 100 percent disability benefits. You can find out how you can qualify for 100 percent disability benefits here.

To receive an SAH grant, veterans must have one or more of the following disabilities:

  • Blindness in both eyes along with the loss of or loss of use of one leg
  • Certain burns that are severe
  • Loss or loss of use of a lower leg due to the lasting effects of natural disease or injury
  • Loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • Loss of or loss of use of one lower extremity requiring the help of braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair

It is important to note that after September 11, 2001, only 30 veterans and service members may qualify for a grant based on the loss of one extremity each fiscal year.

The fiscal year runs October 1 through September 30. Anyone who qualifies in one fiscal year but does not receive the grant may be able to use it in future years as long as the law remains in place.

Special Home Adaptation Grant

You may be eligible for a Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant if you own your home and have one of the following qualifying conditions:

  • Blindness in both eyes
  • Certain respiratory or breathing injuries
  • Loss of or loss of use of one or both hands
  • Severe burns

You may be eligible for an SHA up to $18,074. You do not have to use all of a SAH or SHA grant in one year. You are able to use money from the grant over three times in your lifetime.

Temporary Residence Adaptation

If you are living with family members after leaving the military, you may also be eligible for a Temporary Residence Adaptation grant as long as you qualify for a SAH or SHA grant and are temporarily living with others in a home that needs to be modified.

The grant is available for up to $39,969 if you qualify for a SAH grant and for up to $7,083 if you qualify for an SHA grant.

If you are 100 percent disabled after serving in the military, you can apply for housing allowances on the VA website. Applying for VA benefits can be confusing. Contact us today for a no-obligation consultation by calling or filling out the easy online form to learn more.

You can also find out how you can qualify for 100 percent disability benefits here.

Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell is a husband, father, martial artist, budget-master, Disney-addict, musician, and recovering foodie having spent over 2 decades as a leader for Whole Foods Market. Click to learn more about me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Content