The term “California sober” has become increasingly popular in recent times, referring to individuals who choose to abstain from certain drugs while still using others, particularly marijuana, and alcohol. While there are people who consider this as a healthier option for consuming the substance, experts suggest that it may do more harm than good.
In this article, we will delve into the reasons behind the shift away from “California sober” and toward complete abstinence, as well as explore the benefits of this approach for those seeking recovery from addiction.
What Does California Sober Mean?
“California Sober is a term that is used to describe a lifestyle in which people will abstain from using certain substances such as alcohol and hard drugs. Instead, they will have certain substances like marijuana and LSD. This term was popularized by singer/ actress Demi Lovota. In one of her documentaries, while detailing her struggle with addiction, she calls herself “California sober.” According to her, the term refers to avoiding all the hard drugs. This practice is based on reduction rather than abstinence.
People who practice “California sober” will use substances moderately or will abstain from using alcohol and drugs like Heroin and Cocaine. Rather they will use soft drugs like marijuana. They consider it as a balanced form of sobriety as this will help them stay away from hard drugs.
The concept of “California Sober” or Cali sober” is controversial as the use of substances can trigger individuals who are recovering from addiction. However, many people argue that allowing the use of certain substances is more realistic.
California Sober: Is marijuana a safe alternative
Some consumers of marijuana say that California Sober has helped them limit their alcohol abuse. While this approach may work for some people, professionals from reputed addiction treatment centers like Muse Treatment Alcohol & Drug Rehab LA says that replacing alcohol with soft drugs is not safe, and this replacement might not close the chances of drinking again. The experts say that the chances for people to start drinking again are high in people who actually use marijuana compared to the people who don’t use marijuana or other soft drugs. Moreover, the use of marijuana has its own negative sides, including:
- Inability to concentrate and short-term memory loss.
- The ability to make sound decisions and the ability to coordinate may be lost temporarily.
- You may experience a reduced drive to do work that is very important to you.
- Increased possibility for short-term paranoia and psychosis, and there is also a possibility for them to occur in the long term.
- Sleeping disorders
- Increased possibility for depression and irritability.
- Lung damage
Benefits of Complete Sobriety
Even though practicing California Sober may seem to be attractive to people who are not willing to quit substances abruptly, it is essential to understand that both alcohol and marijuana are addictive substances that can cause damage in the future. It is true that these substances can provide temporary relief to issues like depression and anxiety, but they can also alter brain chemistry and increase the risk of mental illness.
Practicing complete sobriety is the best chance to recover completely from addiction. Abstinence can help your mind to be clearer and can keep your body free of toxins that can adversely affect your mental and physical health.
Choosing complete sobriety with the help of a professional from a reputable alcohol treatment center in Beverly Hills. They will identify the real issue that led to the abuse and develop a treatment that is suitable for the individual.
Other benefits of becoming completely sobriety include:
- Feeling more energetic
- Better immune system
- Looking youthful, healthier, and lively
- Saving money that you spend on alcohol or marijuana
- Better clarity of mind
- Improved sleep pattern
- Weight loss
- Better eating habits
- Exploring new hobbies and practices
How is Muse Treatment paving the way for abstinence?
Muse Treatment, a leading rehabilitation center in Los Angeles, emphasizes the importance of abstinence by offering comprehensive treatment programs. The center offers various services that encourage individuals to embrace full sobriety. Some of the treatments include:
- Evidence-based Approach- At Muse Treatment, individuals are encouraged to express their true selves, including their interests, needs, and desires, as part of the center’s evidence-based treatment program. This approach enables them to gain a better understanding of their addiction and the factors that contribute to it, empowering them to make positive changes and build a strong foundation for long-term recovery.
- Muse Treatment offers bi-weekly art therapy sessions and recreational activities as part of its holistic approach to treatment.
- The weekly group sessions offered at Muse Treatment’s inpatient rehab center are designed to address the underlying causes of relapse, which can include poor nutrition, lack of appropriate vocational or educational goals, unhealthy relationships, and other factors. By targeting these root causes through group therapy, clients can gain a deeper understanding of the factors that contribute to addiction and develop the skills necessary to overcome them.
- Muse Treatment program addresses the day-to-day struggles of each individual and provide them with the tools to develop corrective behaviors and practices.
- Aftercare programs-Muse treatments aftercare program includes regular follow-up sessions with a therapist, participation in alumni events, and access to ongoing support groups. The goal of the aftercare program is to help clients maintain their sobriety and prevent relapse by providing ongoing guidance, support, and accountability.
The concept of “California sober” has gained traction in recent years as a harm reduction approach to addiction treatment that allows individuals to manage their addiction without complete abstinence. However, leading California rehabs are calling for a shift away from this approach, as it does not address the underlying issues of addiction and can lead to relapse.
While harm reduction strategies like “California sober” may be appropriate for certain individuals, it is crucial to acknowledge that addiction is a chronic illness that necessitates ongoing care and support. Abstinence-centered treatments have demonstrated the highest efficacy in facilitating long-term recovery and decreasing the likelihood of relapse. Complete sobriety offers the greatest chance of full recovery from addiction. By practicing abstinence, you can achieve a clearer state of mind and maintain a toxin-free body that promotes optimal mental and physical health.