At the end of the day, this blog has nothing to do with me; it’s about you and I coming together and growing stronger; finding solutions to problems a Middle Class Dad might face every day. That being said, why listen to a guy like me?
Allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Jeff Campbell. I’m in my early 50’s and live around Austin, TX. I’ve lived all over the country but we moved to Austin when I was 10, so I more or less consider that home, but I’ve also lived on both coasts and in the deep south.
I am very happily married and have 2 daughters approaching their teenage years. I work running the business end of a large martial arts school with 2 primary and a few satellite locations and have been doing that since 2013.
Prior to that, for most of the past 25 years, I worked in mid-level leadership positions for a very large natural foods grocery store that I’m sure you’ve heard of and shopped at. I like to spend time with my kids and I help out in both their classes each week at school.
I try and keep up with the minor repairs on our home, go to church on Sundays and help out a lot around the house since my wife not only works full time but is working on her college degree at night.
We lead busy, but fulfilling lives. Our time is short, so we try and make the most of it. Being in my 50’s, it’s important to stay healthy; after all I want to be around this world for a long time, so I eat healthy, train in martial arts 3 times a week and, most importantly, try and maintain a positive outlook on life and not let stress control me.
Remember the John Cusack character in High Fidelity? That’s me (kind of). I’m just a bit sunnier (a lot actually), don’t smoke and am nerdier, but I am a walking bastion of useless music and movie trivia nonetheless.
If it weren’t for the sports section, I would rule Trivial Pursuit!
ALL TIME, TOP 3 FAVORITE MOVIES
- Star Wars (virtually all of them, but not so much the prequels, especially Phantom Menace). Rogue One rules!
- Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock made some great movies, and Jimmy Stewart is always great, but this one is exceptional)
- So I Married An Axe Murderer (A little obscure, I know, and certainly not Mike Myers best known movie, but so great and so quotable. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I included some samples of Myers’ father character in our wedding reception playlist!
And of course, I wore a kilt!)
ALL TIME, TOP 3 FAVORITE BANDS/MUSICAL ARTISTS
- The Ramones (loved ’em since I was in 10th grade and lucky enough to have seen them twice in their heyday)
- The Jam/Paul Weller (I know, a little obscure for someone from the US, but again, I heard The Jam in high school and have been a fan ever since) Weller (lead singer) has had a brilliant solo career ever since. I never got to see The Jam but I’ve seen Weller about 7 times; always brilliant!
- The Pogues (I know, another bunch of “old guys”. “Where’s the new(er) artists?” I hear some of you say? I do actually listen to a lot of new stuff and I like an extraordinary variety of music (as I like to say, “everything but new country and smooth jazz”), but The Pogues have been a favorite for more than 25 years and thankfully I’ve seen them twice and they always cheer me up!
I have dabbled in Martial Arts my whole life, but always very sporadically and without true commitment. Karate when I was a kid & Judo when I was in my 30’s, but it wasn’t until I found myself in need of a new job/career in 2013 that I really unleashed my passion for it.
You can read more about that in an upcoming blog entitled “7 powerful ways martial arts saved my marriage“.
To never miss an important post and stay connected with me, why not subscribe to my blog?
It’s quick & easy and you can unsubscribe at any time. I promise I won’t overload your inbox, won’t spam you and will never sell your email to 3rd parties. Just a few emails a month about my most important posts or to let you know of anything special.
CHECK OUT MY ADDITIONAL RESOURCE PAGES BELOW
The image on my home page, 1970′s inventions that changed our way of life, by Paul Townsend, is licensed under CC 2.0