If you’re a writer looking to write a post for my site, just know I do accept guest posts.
Here’s what I’m looking for in posts:
- They need to fit one of my categories: Parenting, Marriage/Relationships, Personal Finance or something related to work or home DIY.
- The post needs to be a minimum of about 800 words
- The post needs to be original content – not previously posted on any website
- You cannot also publish the post on your site (linking to it is fine and sharing socially is fine, but we’d both get in trouble with Google for having the same post on 2 different websites)
- Great content – While you would be credited as the writer of the post and I would include a bio and link to your site and/or social pages, I would not want your guest post to be sales-y or pushing your affiliate links. The post’s primary goal should be to help my viewers
- Your bio should be 200 words max and can include a headshot or logo pic of your brand.
- I reserve the right to edit the post as I see fit and format it to my liking (including inserting my affiliate links if I think they naturally work with the post) – but I will give you a final review with the option to make changes
- If you send images, make sure they are royalty free or your own – Images from websites like Pexels.com or Pixabay.com can be used commercially without attribution (credit). Please make sure the images you send are able to be used without payment or copyright infringement. That being said I have no issue with finding images and I reserve the right to substitute images if I think it helps the post. I also frequently insert YouTube videos where it makes sense or possibly embed Twitter posts that are relevant.
- If you post cites a fact or statistic, make sure you link to the original study (not just another blog post)
- If you want to link to other blog posts just make sure they aren’t competing for the same keyword phrase (ie: the same subject matter)
- Until I see your written post I cannot guarantee I will use it
- The post should be submitted in a word document or PDF file
- I would want you to share the post at least once on all social channels you use
- Share me now – It doesn’t hurt to show me you’re serious by sharing some of my existing posts now on your social channels and following me on all my social channels.
- Repeat posts – If the post does well, I’m happy to accept future posts under the same conditions, but no more than 2 per month to start with
Lastly the post needs to be SEO friendly. After all it will benefit us both more if the post has a chance to rank well on Google. With that in mind, this is what I do on all posts to ensure they are SEO friendly. You can handle this on the front end, or I can adjust it on the back end.
- COMPETITION – I search the chosen keyword phrase you are using to see how much competition (other posts) already exist. I look for phrases that have about 2 million or fewer other similar posts.
- SEARCH VOLUME – I also look to see how many people are actively searching for that keyword phrase. There are a number of free and paid tools to show you this. I would want a minimum of 50 people/month searching for that phrase and obviously higher searches and low competition is better!
- AVOID BIG NAME COMPETITION – Of the top 10 posts for that phrase I like to make sure they aren’t from big names like HuffPost. It will be hard for us to out-rank them.
- KEYWORD PHRASES – That keyword phrase needs to appear in your post title and be sprinkled around naturally in your text at least 6 times.
- BEAT THE TOP POSTS – Take a look at the top 2 or 3 posts for your topic. The goal would be to have your post be better, more thorough and/or more current.
- SIMILAR SEARCHES – On certain keyword phrases, Google will suggest other similar questions in a box called “People Also Ask”. Use some (or all) of those as possible headlines in your post as Google will reward posts that really dig deep into a topic.
I know this is a lot of information, but at this time I’m getting upwards of 4 requests a week (and I’m a one-man show), so its helpful if you have a clear understanding of what I’m looking for going in.
Also know with the volume of requests I’m receiving you should expect a week delay in my responding to requests and 2-4 weeks before any post would be published.
Ready to go? Send me an email with your attached post or ask additional questions.