Are There Hidden Dangers Lurking In Your Home?


Not all hazards in your home are obvious.

It’s possible that there could be hazards in the walls and even invisible gases in the air. Here are just some of the biggest hidden dangers to look out for in your home.

Asbestos

Asbestos was once heralded as a miracle construction material – it’s fire-proof, a good insulator and very tough.

Unfortunately, exposure to this material can lead to a very deadly cancer known as mesothelioma.

This is caused by breathing in particles of asbestos in the air. Unless you disturb asbestos, it’s unlikely this material will harm you, however removing asbestos from your home is still a sensible precaution.

You’re best hiring professionals to deal with the removal.

Asbestos has a distinct furry appearance that makes it easy to spot, however it could be within the lining of your walls – getting your home checked for asbestos could be worthwhile.

Lead

Lead was once used in paint and before that it was used in plumbing.

It’s use in construction has since been banned given that lead is poisonous if ingested – this may only take a fleck of paint in the air or some of the inner lining to come away in a lead pipe and poison your home’s water supply.

Lead piping is very rare today as much of is likely to already have been removed, however it’s thought that many homes still contain lead paint.

You can hire professionals to check your home for lead and remove any traces or you can buy a lead test kit.

Radon

Radon is an invisible, odourless gas that is thought to be a major cause of lung cancer.

It seeps up through the ground and enter homes through gaps in the foundations. You can usually prevent radon poisoning by ensuring that your foundations are sealed up, or by keeping your home well ventilated.

To check for radon in your home, you can buy a radon test kit that will be able to determine whether you have a problem in your home.

Carbon monoxide

Like radon, carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas.

Whilst radon causes long term damage, carbon monoxide is a much more instant killer – it could take only a few hours for this gas to cause fatal poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is generally the result of a gas leak in your home – early signs of poisoning include drowsiness and nausea. Installing a carbon monoxide monitor in your home can help to detect this gas and alert you in the event of a leak.

Mold

Mold is common in homes across the world.

It is a fungus that is attracted to dampness – a leak or a lack of ventilation can be enough to result in growths. Most people assume that mold is harmless but breathing in spores can actually be dangerous, potentially leading to diseases such as Legionnaires.

You can find out how to remove mold from your home online. Preventative measures such as keeping your home ventilated and attending to leaks quickly can stop mould from appearing.

Old wiring

If you live in an old property, there could be original wiring that could be potentially dangerous.

Knob and tube wiring was the first type of wiring, common in homes built between 1880 and the 1940s – such wiring can degrade and pose a fire hazard.

If you suspect you have some of this original wiring in your home, it could be worth hiring an electrician to replace it with modern wiring so that you’re not at risk of a fire.  

Image Source. Licensed under Creative Commons.

Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell is a husband, father, martial artist, budget-master, Disney-addict, musician, and recovering foodie having spent over 2 decades as a leader for Whole Foods Market. Click to learn more about me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Content