Fatherhood is one of the greatest jobs you will ever have, but it can also be stressful at times, which may affect your mental health. Luckily, there are a number of ways that you can work through the stress, so you are able to keep being the best dad that you can be.
Here’s a look at 5 ways to take care of your mental health while still being a great dad to your kids.
- Get Mental Health Support. Anytime you feel like you need support concerning your mental health, you should reach out for it. You can determine whether you want to meet with a counselor in their office, or if you would like to take advantage of online counseling. If you want to try online therapy, you can check out this link for more info: https://www.mytherapist.com/advice/. When you work with a therapist, they can help you work through your stress, and also offer you other types of advice that you can incorporate into your life.
- Working out is another way that you can address your mental health. When you are exercising, even just a few minutes each day, this can make a difference. Not only is it giving you time to rest your brain, but it is also burning off energy, so you will be able to rest at night. A 2019 study indicates that there is evidence to support that exercising can be beneficial for your mental health and may help improve your mood.
- Give yourself a bedtime. You likely give your kids a bedtime, and you need to give yourself one as well. Even when there are so many things that you must get done, you also need to make sure that you are getting the sleep your body requires. An adult needs around 7 hours of sleep each night, so shoot for a bedtime that allows you to get that many hours of sleep before you have to get up for the day. It is a good idea to go to bed at this time every day, or at least as many days as you can each week.
- Clean up your diet. Another aspect of your life that you may need to address is your diet. You should do your best to eat the proper number of calories and include plenty of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables on your plate. Getting vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat may help you feel better compared to eating greasy or processed foods. If you are unsure of what you should be eating, you can do some research to learn more about meal plans and how to get the vitamins you need in your diet.
- Take some time to relax. Think about the last time you relaxed. This may be something that you are overlooking, but you shouldn’t be. Even when you have kids, regardless of their ages, you have to be able to take some time for yourself as well. A few minutes when you are feeling stressed can help you out. Do something that you like to do or simply sit in a dark quiet room. There’s no wrong answer; just do whatever makes you feel better. You can talk to your therapist about suggestions or start a hobby to help you relax. Consider reading books or learning about aromatherapy. You can utter a prayer for fathers when you feel down or when you need some inspiration. Additionally, you might want to talk to your friends that are parents about how they relax and what they do.
There are a few ways that you are able to take care of your mental health and still be the parent that you want to be. Be sure to take care of yourself and take advantage of therapy, if this is something that you want to do. Besides that, you need to pay attention to your body and mind.
Address your habits and make sure that you are getting the proper sleep, exercising, and eating healthy foods. You may see a difference in how you feel. It is worth a shot!
About the Author
Marie Miguel has been a writing and research expert for nearly a decade, covering a variety of health-related topics. Currently, she is contributing to the expansion and growth of a free online mental health resource with MyTherapist.com. With an interest and dedication to addressing stigmas associated with mental health, she continues to specifically target subjects related to anxiety and depression.