Since nothing about parenthood is ever easy, finding the best sippy cup for your breastfed baby can sometimes be really challenging.
You may have occasionally heard some scary stories about leaking cups, or you may feel overwhelmed about the myriad of sippy cups available on the market. Other times, sippy cups come with price tags that suddenly make you think 24K gold-covered chicken wings sound reasonable.
So in this post, we’re looking at the best of the best sippy cups for breastfed babies.
Bottle-fed babies often take to sippy cups more easily, whereas breastfed babies can take longer to adapt. But the right sippy cup will get your breastfed baby everything they need for hydration while giving you the peace and quiet you’ve been craving. They are affordable, safe, and likely to work for you and the baby.
So let’s review the . . .
7 Best Sippy Cups for Breastfed Babies You Probably Don’t Know
1. thinkbaby Thinkster Sippy Cup
This convertible sippy cup (we will get to that in a minute) is an excellent choice for budget-mindful and practical parents. These are its best features:
- It is entirely free of (BPA), phthalates, lead, PVC, PET, and other harmful chemicals
- Reduced spills and leaks due the cross cut design and easy to close swivel top
- It is also compatible with the ThinkBaby baby bottle and straw top parts, making your future life even easier
- The nipple is anti-colic
Get this 4-star bottle on Amazon Prime for well under $10.00!
The version with the nipple top is perfect for 6-12 months, whereas the version with the straw is perfect for 9 to 24 months.
Or get the complete kit of 2 bottles which transitions all the way up to 48 months for just over $20; a great deal!
The cute, vibrant colors of these sippy cups will attract the baby’s attention; therefore, this is a sippy cup worth a look, especially since it is dishwasher safe.
If you start with the 6-month bottle and get the upgrade kit in pink or blue, the sippy cup converts into a straw sippy cup, saving you time and money when you have to buy new sippy cups when the baby grows up.
2. NUK Fashion Hearts Learner Cup
A bit smaller in capacity than the Think Baby version, this sippy cup comes with raving parents’ reviews and more-than-appealing features for its incredibly modest price. Here is why we believe you should pay attention to it:
- Easy-grip design, with anti-slip handles
- Safe for the baby and easy to clean by hand or by the dishwasher
- Attractive colors and patterns
- Soft spout, easy for the gums
This bottle has 4.5 stars on Amazon Prime and almost 2000 reviews, so you know your baby will love this bottle! At $6.99 it’s also easy on even the tightest budget.
Just as with any other sippy cup on this list, we recommend you read some reviews and parents’ feedback. Not all children are the same, and yours may need a different sippy cup style for the transition.
3. Gerber Graduates Fun Grips Hard Spout 2 Sippy Cups
This product features a pair of sippy cups, so the investment is worth every penny. Let us see what you get when you buy the sippy cups:
- Seal Zone Technology that makes the sippy cups 100% leak-proof, spill-proof, and break-proof
- The spout is bite and chewing resistant, but safe for the teeth and gums
- BPA free
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy-grip and drop-safe design
Also features 4.5 stars on Amazon Prime with just under 2000 reviews and well under $10,00 for 2 cups! Note they ship “assorted colors” so when you order the colors may be different than pictured.
If you want the cups to rule them all, these may be the ones you were looking for some time. Make sure you study the tech specs and reviews, to make sure these cups fit the needs and behaviors of your child.
Thinking of purchasing a baby carrier? Good news! We’ve scoured the market for the best ones, so you won’t have to do the research. Check out our full reviews here: https://t.co/p6GriSouMk #babycarrier #baby pic.twitter.com/w2VpxRQqhI
— Sweet Mom’s Blog (@SweetMomsBlog) January 9, 2018
4. Munchkin Click Lock Weighted Flexi Straw Trainer Cup
One of the best traits of this sippy cup is the weighted flexi straw, which prevents the spills even if your toddler holds the container at unnatural angles. The price is low, and some may feel that the label translates into poor quality, but it is not the case here. Let’s see some of the best features:
- Best for room temperature milk, water, and juice
- Weighted straw
- BPA free
- Handles are comfortable for babies who barely know what their arms and hands are for
- It is a good sippy cup when you are also on the go, as it features a flip top lid and Click Lock leak-proof
- The straw works well with the toddler’s gums
Get 1 cup for under $6.00 or get the whole 4 star Happy Snacker collection for under $20!
If you want to train your baby to use a cup, this is good target practice and worth a try.
5. OXO Tot Transitions Straw Cup
If biting is a natural thing for your baby, this sippy cup is exactly what you needed, as the child needs to bite the straw to open it and drink. Many other sippy cups share this feature, but some parents complain their children do not get the biting idea. In other words, observe your child’s behaviors and preferences before you buy any sippy cup. Back to this Oxo model, parents have nothing but words of praise about it:
- Soft, comfortable, non-slip grip and removable handles so you can teach your child more control related to drinking
- Spill-proof straw
- Almond-shaped sippy cup makes dropping harder;
- It comes with measurement markings, a feature seldom shared by other sippy cups
- The hinged cap allows you to close it to create a leak-proof seal
A 4 star Amazon Choice product for under $10!
If you listen to other parents, you should skip all sippy cups altogether and go for this one, as a six months old can get the idea in two minutes. However, if you still breastfeed the little one, you should reconsider, because breastfeeding and straw biting do not go well together, for obvious reasons.
6. Playtex Sipsters Stage 1 Sippy Cups
Designed for children ages 4M+, these sippy cups (coming in a pair) come with useful features and a hard to match the price from other brands. Let us see the most exciting aspects of the product, so you know what to expect:
- Spill-proof, break-proof, and leak-proof contoured design for comfortable hold; the sippy cups also come with removable handles for better drinking control
- Soft silicone spout that is easy for the gums
- BPA free
- Top rack dishwasher safe
4 stars on Amazon Prime in colorful 2 packs!
Some parents say the flow is too low, while others say it is too fast. As always, everything depends on the child.
— JohnsHopkinsMedicine (@HopkinsMedicine) August 4, 2016
7. Baby Brezza Transition Sippy Cup
Last but not least, the Baby Brezza sippy cup is a good choice if you want a simple and straightforward product with some hi-tech features.
- 100% spill-proof!
- It features the brand’s anti-colic TruFlo vent system, which minimizes gases
- It has a wide mouth, making things easy
- BPA free
- The spout is soft and gentle for the gums
- The easy-grip handles are removable
An Amazon Prime add-on item for just over $7.00!
Some people love this one because it is clear & grey (saving the trouble of color choosing) and easy to clean.
Did we cover everything you wanted to know about the best sippy cups for breastfed babies?
In this post, we looked at the best sippy cups for breastfed babies.
Not every sippy cup is right for every baby and babies who are breastfed don’t always take to bottles and sippy cups easily.
In case you do not know yet, kids can be fussy.
While you have ways to counter their food pickiness, you need to understand they have preferences, fixations, and frustrations.
For this reason, you should be the picky one when it comes to sippy cups and try to find one (or more) that fits your child to a tee.
A happy child is always a happy parent, so choose one of the above and you’ll be well on your way!
Any tips, suggestions or questions on the best sippy cups for breastfed babies?
If you like this post, please consider sharing on Facebook, because if it helped you, it just might help someone else!
About the author of this post
Kelly Fowler is a full-time mommy and a co-founder of Sweetmomsblog.com, a blog where she provides useful baby care advice for every new parent.
Want to write for Middle Class Dad too? Check out everything you need to know on my Guest Blog Page.